Does Instacart take EBT? Yes, here's how to buy groceries on the app from participating stores
- Instacart takes EBT cards from shoppers who are on SNAP and purchasing groceries from participating Aldi stores.
- These Aldi stores are part of a federal pilot program.
- EBT cards can be used to pay for the entirety or part of these Instacart orders.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
If you’re getting federal food assistance benefits as part of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), you probably already know that ordering groceries online is a challenge.
Most grocery stores in the United States will take EBT (Electronic Benefit Transfer) cards in person. Still, ordering and buying via an app is newer territory.
That’s why Aldi and other grocery outlets are participating in a federal pilot program where people can make online purchases using their EBT cards. The program is active in most US states, but you’ll want to check. While other retailers such as Wal-Mart and Amazon are allowing online EBT purchases, currently Aldi is the only store available for EBT purchases through Instacart.
To pay for your groceries using your benefits, you’ll have to add your EBT card to your Instacart account. Keep in mind: While benefits will pay for most groceries, additional costs such as delivery, service fees, tips, and SNAP-ineligible items won’t be covered. So you’ll have to add a debit or credit card to complete the payment.
How to add an EBT card to your Instacart account
You can pay using your EBT card at select Aldi stores. If you don’t see an option to pay with EBT, update to the latest version of the app. If you still don’t see it — check back later to see if the program has expanded.
1. Open your Instacart app or visit the Instacart website.
2. On the app, tap the three lines in the upper left corner. On the website, click the downward-facing arrow beside “Hi, [your name]” and click “Your Account” in the dropdown.
3. On the app, tap “Your account settings.”
4. On the website, once you’re on your account page, scroll down and click “Payment methods.” On the app, tap “Payment methods” after you’ve selected “Your account settings.”
5. Tap or click “Add” next to “EBT SNAP card.”
6. Enter your name and EBT card number.
7. Tap or click “Save.”
How to remove an EBT card from your Instacart account
You can only have one EBT card connected to your account at a time, so you’ll have to delete one card to add another.
1. Tap or click “Account.”
2. Tap or click “Your account settings.”
3. Tap or click “Payment methods.”
4. Tap or click “Edit.”
5. Select the EBT card you want to delete.
6. If on your browser, click the three dots and then “Delete.” App users, tap the pencil icon. Tap “Delete” and then “Save.”
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
How does Instacart work? What to know about the grocery delivery service powered by freelancers
How to cancel an Instacart order and get a refund if there was an issue with your items
How does DoorDash work? Everything to know about the food delivery app powered by gig workers
Yes, you can use gift cards on DoorDash’s delivery app — here’s how
How to use gift cards on Postmates and where to purchase them
Click here to receive a FREE download of The Top 5 Disruptive Trends Shaping Transportation and Logistics from BI Intelligence, Business Insider’s premium research service.
Source: Read Full Article