David Dobrik exits board of Dispo photo app amid Vlog Squad rape scandal

More On:

Influencers

Inside the pooch palaces of NYC’s top dog influencers

Biden-boosting influencer ‘Brooklyn Dad’ slammed for taking PAC money

Olivia Rodrigo says she doesn’t know Sabrina Carpenter ‘at all’

Minneapolis scraps plan to hire influencers to spin George Floyd murder trial

YouTube star David Dobrik has left the board of his photo-sharing app Dispo after a former member of his online comedy crew was accused of rape.

Dobrik’s departure was the latest fallout from the allegations against his longtime friend Dominykas Zeglaitis, who was part of Dobrik’s Vlog Squad before leaving the group in 2019.

An Insider investigation published last week detailed a young woman’s account of how Vlog Squad members gave her alcohol before Zeglaitis — better known as Durte Dom — had sex with her while she was too drunk to consent in 2018. Dobrik reportedly filmed the woman for a YouTube video that was viewed 5 million times before it was deleted.

“David has chosen to step down from the board and leave the company to not distract from the company’s growth,” Dispo told The Post in a statement Monday. “Dispo’s team, product, and most importantly- our community- stand for building a diverse, inclusive, and empowering world.”

Dispo confirmed Dobrik’s exit hours after one of its major financial backers, Spark Capital, decided to “sever all ties” with the startup he co-founded.

The move came roughly a month after Spark reportedly led a $20 million fundraising round for Dispo that valued it at about $200 million. The app mimics disposable cameras by making users wait to view their images while they “develop.”

“We have stepped down from our position on the board and we are in the process of making arrangements to ensure we do not profit from our recent investment in Dispo,” Spark said on Twitter early Monday morning.

The firm — which has also invested in tech giants such as Twitter, Postmates and Slack — did not immediately respond to an email seeking more details about how it would handle its Dispo investment.

Spark isn’t the only company to end its relationship with Dobrik, whom The Wall Street Journal once dubbed “Gen Z’s Jimmy Fallon.”

Eight brands — including EA Sports, Dollar Shave Club and DoorDash, which sponsored Dobrik’s podcast “Views” — told Insider that they would no longer work with him.

Those deals have proven lucrative for the budding media maven — Forbes estimates that Dobrik’s earnings totaled $15.5 million from June 2019 to June 2020, some of which came from corporate sponsorships.

Dobrik distanced himself from Zeglaitis in an apology video last week, saying he has been “really disappointed with some of my friends.”

“Consent is something that’s super, super important to me,” Dobrik said. “Whether I’m shooting with a friend or shooting with a stranger, I always make sure that whatever the video I’m putting out, I have the approval from that person.”

Zeglaitis discussed the backlash against the Vlog Squad in a recent video but he has not responded directly to the rape allegations. A representative for Zeglaitis did not immediately respond to a request for comment Monday.

Share this article:

Source: Read Full Article