Canon's compact EOS RP isn't the strongest full-frame camera, but a $300 price drop makes it worth a second look
When you buy through our links, we may earn money from our affiliate partners. Learn more.
- The entry-level Canon EOS RP has a new low price of $999, giving a budget option to those interested in upgrading to full-frame photography.
- Full-frame cameras offer superior low-light image quality and, when matched with the right lens, a shallower depth of field to separate the subject from the background.
- Unlike a large DSLR that uses a mirror, mirrorless tech makes the RP compact for a full-frame camera.
- Despite being two years old, over that time, Canon has rolled out several affordable lenses, thus making the EOS RP more attractive than at launch.
- While cheaper, it's still outclassed by entry-level full-frame models from Sony and Nikon, no thanks to an aging sensor.
- Video features remain a sore point, but the RP is a capable still camera, especially for beginners and aspiring enthusiasts.
Daven Mathies/Business Insider
The Canon EOS RP gives budget-conscious and beginner photographers a taste of full-frame imaging without sinking thousands of dollars into a camera body. It's far from perfect — I think the RP is the most lackluster full-frame mirrorless camera on the market — but it checks a few important boxes at a price that nobody else can match.
Pros: Compact, lightweight, affordable, good JPEG image quality
Cons: No in-body image stabilization, terrible battery life, lackluster RAW image quality, 1.7X crop on 4K video, no Dual Pixel Autofocus in 4K video
Subscribe to our newsletter.
You can purchase syndication rights to this story here.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Reviews team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at email@example.com.
Source: Read Full Article